Russia, Georgia and the US
What really happened in Georgia?
Some basic facts:
1. The citizens of South Ossetia have long expressed a desire to break away from Georgia and, in fact, declared themselves independent from Georgia in the 1990s.
2. On the first day of the 2008 Olympics, Georgia launched an all-out, “shock and awe” attack on numerous civilian targets in Tskhinvali, the capital city of South Ossetia
3. Russia, which shares a border and a long historical connection with South Ossetia, sent troops into the region to fight back the attacking Georgian military.
4. The arms for Georgia’s attack on South Ossetia were largely provided by the US.
5. The US and UK news media have successfully managed to portray these events as a random, unprovoked and savage attack on Georgia by Russia.
In this video, Mikhail Gorbachev responds.
This detailed analysis of the US’s provocations in Georgia was published one month ago: